



February 3rd, 2021 Minutes

1. Call to Order

Patrick Hickey, the NBSA Board Chair, called the NBSA Board Meeting of February 3rd of 2021 to order at 6:09pm.

1.1. Roll Call

Board Directors Present:

Patrick Hickey (UNB-SRC, Chair)
Sarah Kohut (STUSU, Vice Chair)
Sydney Thorburn (MASU)
Jonathan Ferguson (MASU)
Megan Cormier (STUSU)
Charlotte Fanjoy (UNB-SRC)
Sean MacKenzie (UNBSU)
Téa Fazio (UNBSU)

Regrets:

Staff Present:

Bibi Wasiimah Joomun, Executive Director, NBSA

Guests Present:

N/A

Absent:

2. Approval of the Agenda

It was moved by UNB-SRC to approve the agenda.

Seconded by MASU.

Motion passed unanimously.

3. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by STUSU to approve the agenda.

Seconded by UNBSU.

Motion passed unanimously.

4. Reports

4.1 Chair Update

Patrick: For me, nothing much really. The executive met today, it's weird that we now meet on Wednesdays just a few hours before our meetings. We don't have too much on our plate to be honest, it's mostly a lot of executive stuff - I'll be working with Wasiimah on our report to the Lieutenant Governor which we'll submit after the AGM. We're also working on the AGM, and Wasiimah and Sarah have something they're working on, and we're tying up those ends. It's the same thing with committees, we're tying up a lot of our work before the end of the year. We're also following up with our government partners on our asks before the end of the year. Wasiimah's working really hard on our budget submission, which is a big part of our advocacy.

4.2 Home Office Update

Wasiimah: I don't have anything to add, you touched on what we discussed in our exec meeting. So if anyone has any questions, please ask, but Patrick mostly covered everything I've been up to.

4.3 Director Updates

4.3.1 MASU

Sydney: Was everyone able to see the report? Because I know when I got it that it shows a blank document.

Patrick: It worked for me, but I had to download it.

Sarah: I suck, I am two for two at sucking. I apologize, that's my fault. What usually happens is for some reason Sydney when you send your report is it comes up blank, but I know it always works so I never check it. But what's recently been happening with my laptop is it will save documents as "Text Edit", that's the file it saves as - I'm not sure how to fix that, so if anyone has any tips let me know. I sincerely apologize for that error.

Patrick: I had to download it and put it in the zip editor thing, it doesn't look nice but it's there, I'm not sure if that's helpful for anyone.

Sarah: Yeah that's how mine is as well.

Sydney: Would it help if I sent it to you as a PDF?

Sarah: Yes, that would be much better.

Sydney: Okay I'll remember that for next time, I'm sorry I wasn't doing that sooner.

Sarah: No don't worry, it was my fault this time.

Megan: I just want to say Sarah it's not your fault, I saw that it didn't work and didn't say anything, so I partially blame myself for not bringing up the fact I couldn't see it.

Patrick: Sydney, do you want to do like three main points of your report?

Sydney: A lot of updates from our executive and the work they're doing, Jon and I met with the students who were affected by the evictions. It seems like they're mostly taken care of, I've heard from a couple who seem like their questions are being answered and they're doing well now. Our MASU sexual violence committee is meeting regularly and we're putting together a campaign for the rest of the semester on sex positivity, rape culture, consent, and disability and sex. We had a couple Instagram accounts pop up which were a little bit less than ideal, they were problematic, so we're going to combat that with some positivity. Very exciting news, I think it's very exciting, a couple clubs on campus and our justice committee are putting together two panel discussions with three panelists, and Husoni Raymond is going to be on one of them. They're doing it for Black History Month, and there's a couple other people they're inviting who have a tie to the Maritimes, but they're going to invite them for a couple panel discussions for Black History Month which is pretty cool.

4.3.2 STUSU

Sarah: Next time we meet, I will be better, I solemnly swear. Just a small addition, with our International Student Fund we released last Friday, so far we've received over 20 applications, so we're really excited that it's really taking off and students are making use of it.

4.3.3 UNB-SRC

Patrick: The only addition that I have that I'm very excited for, I told the executives this, is if the Fredericton Senate allows us so, we will start offering full-term 4 year Engineering programs at the Saint John campus which is very exciting. It'll be in very specific things that the Fredericton campus doesn't offer, like Environmental Engineering, Industrial Engineering, and things like that. Also I think some Computer Science programs might be starting, so that's exciting news.

4.3.4 UNBSU

Téa: I guess I don't have too much to add, most of it is in the report. We have Black History Month content going out throughout the week, focusing on New Brunswick as well as some baseline knowledge. Sex Week is happening next week which I'm super jazzed for. Just as an update note, I did send a message along to STU as well as to NBCC, just to invite them to participate in some of our virtual events that have staff from the tri-campus. In terms of other stuff, we also had to look at some nasty stuff on Instagram, but that account got taken down today. We had a bit of an issue with accessibility right now with online tests and the way they're being run, so we're looking at ways we can help students, especially those that aren't comfortable sharing their video because we actually have a policy that nobody can be forced to do that on our campus. I thought of that when you mentioned engineering Patrick, because engineering has been hit probably the hardest by that right now.

4.4 Priority Updates

4.4.1 Systemic Racism and Indigenization (Sydney)

Sydney: We're hoping to meet sometime next week.

4.4.2 Health and Wellness (Sarah)

Sarah: Health and Wellness met sometime last week just to touch base on what we're doing. Retrospectively, it's a little bit silly why we tried to keep going with that policy in the middle of Lobby Season, but we've all agreed that was a silly move and we have since revisited it. I think we're meeting next week or the week after to revisit those policies, and we also talked about doing a campaign. We talked about doing a campaign ages ago in the Policy and Planning Conference, and we're hoping to roll that out at some point during second semester. The campaign will be about sexual violence in the pandemic, and we're going to do a multitude of things under that umbrella. We're going to hopefully put some stats on how sexual violence has changed as a result of the pandemic, spoiler alert it's increased, and we're also going to include some things like resources on how to support yourself if you're in an abusive situation you can't get out of, or how to recognize abusive situations if maybe you're living with someone who is a perpetrator and a victim. Very early ideas, but once we meet next week we'll have more tangible things, and not be interrupted by Lobby Season.

4.4.3 Sustainability (Jon)

Jon: Same as Systemic Racism, we're meeting early next week - we're coordinating our meetings because it's the same three people. We'll have an update for next meeting.

4.4.4. Accessible Education

4.4.5 Financial Aid (Sean)

Sean: I'll be sending you folks an email, I'm trying to figure that out because it's just been a time. I'll have an email out probably tomorrow.

5. Old Business

Sarah: This isn't really old business, but is there a lead for Accessible Education? I've been leaving it blank, and this is just minute details, but if there's a lead I can reflect that on the minutes and agenda.

Patrick: I think it used to be the VP External for UNBSU, so Téa if you want to then you can, or if someone else wants to.

Wasiimah: I can also hop on that if everyone wants, just to do the technical stuff, and I've also been involved with CAUL and Open Educational Resources so I'm happy to do that as well.

Patrick: That would be great Wasiimah, if no one has any objections. That would be really helpful.

Wasiimah: I can do that.

Patrick: Great, thank you Wasiimah. And thank you Sarah for bringing that up.

6. New Business

Wasiimah: Not really new business, but I wanted to bring up the *Level UP* initiative I mentioned to the executives. So I had a call with Ben Palmer, who used to be the Vice President Student Life of UNBSU when I was Vice President Student Life of STUSU, so it was nice to connect with him in a different capacity. He's currently working with RIIPEn, who is an organization based out of Toronto, and they have a project called *Level UP* which is a paid, short-term extracurricular activities project initiative. It's work-integrated learning, and students are able to view projects that different organizations are working on nationally, and students are able to apply for funding for that. I have more details that I would be willing to send your way, but that program was just launched two weeks ago, and I think it's really great. My question was what is the difference between *Level UP* and Future NB because we already offer experiential learning provincially, but this one is more flexible with your hours. You're able to complete the project in two weeks, or eight weeks, it really doesn't matter for how long you want to work. You're able to choose your project, so each employer will be posting which project they're looking for a student for and you're able to see which ones you want or don't want. At the end of it, it's not a wage or salary basis, but you do get \$1200 at the end of it when you complete the project. As an organization, the NBSA is able to be a project poster, so we're able to recruit a student as well and it's free of cost. They basically want us to promote it, so once they finalize everything they'll be sending it my way, and I can send it your way. The program is funded by the government, so they don't make any profit on this. RIIPEN the organization is just acting as a delivery party.

Patrick: We only have less than 90 days I think left in our terms, which is very crazy. We're down to less than three months, so it's time to start wrapping things up. We have the AGM

coming up, so keep that in mind. There needs to be a new Chair and Vice Chair, so for those that are returning if anyone is interested in those positions, I would offer to contact me or Sarah and we can give you more information on what we do and so on.

Sarah: I have something, but in the interest of everyone's time you can just send me a message or email with your response, but if anyone has any unique ideas on how they're running or promoting their election with it being completely online, let me know. One thing I've talked with our CRO about and something that we don't usually do, is publicizing all the candidates names and sharing all their campaign material, to give all the candidates equal opportunity. There's a lot of factors at play right now with everything being online, you know you don't want someone to win because they have 1000 Instagram followers and the other person only has 300, so there's silly stuff we have to think about now. So I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on how they're navigating that.

Sydney: I have something on the topic of elections, once we have our new President and VP External elected, could we bring them to one of these Board meetings to familiarize them with the NBSA ahead of time?

Patrick: Generally the first time they're all introduced is during our AGM, but something we talked about with the executive is for those who were new last year, the AGM is not very useful for new people. This is a really good point Sarah brought up, is you can't even attend most of the stuff because it's for members only. So I think because it's online, we're going to try and approach it in a different way and really schedule it so the stuff that is useful for the new people can happen in the morning so they can just log off afterwards. I wouldn't be opposed to them coming to a Board meeting, but I'm not sure the rules on that.

Sarah: Jon suggested having a mock Board meeting, and that's exactly what I was going to suggest. I brought this up to the execs because I'm very passionate about it because I think it would be super valuable, but I would love to do just like a group where the incomings and outgoing can just get together and talk shop about the role, and get advice from each other, and talk about everything under the sun. Just because this year has been so crazy and there's so many new variables at play that no one has really thought of before, and I also said to the execs I would be fully willing to organize this and take this on, this is my VP Student Life self

coming out here. And maybe that can take the form of a mock meeting, where the only item on the agenda is do you have any concerns, what are you worried about, etc.

Patrick: I think that's a really good idea, and my suggestion to you is to bring your people in as early on as you can, I don't really care if it's in advance of other people. We got a really late start to this year because we weren't able to meet in person, and we were dealing with our own COVID stuff, and we had resignation on resignation. The summer is generally when we get the bulk of our work done, and the school year is for when we talk with politicians with the stuff that has already been done, so the earlier we can get people transitioned and started would be the best. So I'm fine if people want to attend Board meetings as an observer, or we host mock meetings, I think that's a really good idea because the earlier the transition, the faster people can get to work.

7. Adjournment

It was **moved by STUSU** to adjourn the NBSA Board Meeting of February 3rd at 6:38pm.

Seconded by MASU.

Motion passed unanimously.